Saturday 22 October 2011

Satisfactory resolution?

Is it me (Oh Lord, I sound like Terry Wogan), but do popular children's/ YA books have to be part of a series nowadays?

Harry Potter and Twilight are probably the most obvious that spring to mind but then there's Alex Rider (OK, I realise these have come to an end now), The Mortal Instruments, Casson Family, Spooks, Saga of Darren Shan, Demonata series, Shiver, Beautiful Dead, Chaos Walking (loved it), Charlie Higson's The Enemy (loved even more) and I could go on...

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love a good cliffhanger as much as the next person but sometimes I just want to read a jolly good book and come to the final page and for it just to be, well, the end. Plot-lines tied up (not necessarily in 'it all comes good in the end' kind of way though). Story arc resolved. Finished. End of. Full stop.

I'm not saying that series are a bad idea - no siree - simply that I sometimes like my books to be less like an ongoing soap opera and more like a classy one-off BBC drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment