Thursday 23 June 2011

Library Management software

I'm ashamed to admit that I do not use our library management software to its full potential. In fact, I have nowhere near got to grips with it! 

We've had it for about 3 years and have had more than a few niggles with it.  We paid a fairly decent chunk of cash to our provider for the set-up - one of their staff came out and installed it and the day they spent with us included (very) basic training as to how to use the system - unfortunately, the day of the installation we had a few technical probs with the internet and a couple of the functions didn't work properly - and took a while to sort out (try 6 months!).
 

A few of the niggles have been:
  • the auto-update from SIMS (our school's student info database) has inexplicably collapsed on more than one occasion - our provider's help desk has indeed helped us to sort this on each occasion , but it's a pain. I can't sort it from my desk (our IT manager has that dubious honour) and, until it's fixed, any new starters who don't happen to be on the system have to be issued books manually which leads to greater inaccuracies and more opportunities for things to go missing.
  • The 'auto-cataloguing' function (e.g. you can search for records in other library catalogues, such as the Library of Congress, and import the information into the database so as to avoid having to manually fill in the fields) is extremely patchy. Sometimes it works, other times...no chance! 
  • When our ICT guys had to get a new server (the old one simply died a horrible and painful death) our provider helpfully informed us that we'd have to pay £150 in order for them to get things back up and running again. £150! For a fix that didn't require anyone visiting our office and physically sorting things out (it was all done electronically). Anyways, I managed to 'negotiate' a lower fee for this privilege in the end.

Enough whining already!

Touch wood - - - things seem to be running along a lot more smoothly as of late and I recognise that it's my responsibility to grab the bull by the horns and actually get the software working for me. I must make the library management software my friend!



I can add resources. I can issue, return and reserve resources and I can run basic reports but there's a whole bunch of functions that I still have to get myself familiar with. I have got a folder with some handy hints and tips as to the basic functions of the software which is a useful starting point but I want to know more.

I don't have a lot of time just to play around with the system - our library is pretty busy (and can be noisy) during the day (classes, one-to-one tutorials, group work, lunch/break time activities). However, i
t's been a much quieter day than usual today so I've taken the opportunity to have a bit of a look at what more my library management software can do. For instance, I had no idea that I could set up reading lists! This is something that would be of great interest and use to both staff and students. So, needless-to-say, I've spent some time this afternoon tagging resources and setting some reading lists up.

Tomorrow should also be a reasonably quiet day so who knows what I will find out about my new best  friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment