Tuesday 17 January 2017

2017 Reading Challenge - What's in a name?

When my friend Jen forwarded me a master list of reading challenges (as compiled by http://www.girlxoxo.com/the-master-list-of-2017-reading-challenges/) my initial thought was 'There. Are. So. Many. Brain. Cannot. Cope.' After rebooting myself with a nice cuppa I set about selecting one to work my way through during 2017.

 Now, I know some of you out there might be reading purists who shun the idea of a manufactured challenge when it comes to the books you read - and I must confess to having had leanings towards this way of thinking - however, over the past couple of years I've made a concerted effort to try and read outside of my comfort zone (e.g. crime/thriller/mystery types) and I like the idea something that will encourage me to continue to do that. Last year I took out a Book and a Brew subscription precisely to aid in my quest for new reading pastures (you can read about my initial impressions of the subscription here) and I fancied supplementing this with an additional challenge.

After having a peruse of the list my friend sent m
e I plumped for the 'What's in a Name' challenge courtesy of The Worm Hole. The idea is that people taking part in the challenge need to register over on The Worm Hole and then read books which fall into the following categories and then post links to reviews on the special 'What's in a Name' gateway post:

  • A number in numbers (84, Charing Cross Road; 12 Years A Slave; 31 Dream Street)
  • A building (The Old Curiosity Shop; I Capture The Castle; House Of Shadows; The Invisible Library; Jamaica Inn)
  • A title which has an ‘X’ somewhere in it (The Girl Next Door; The Running Vixen)
  • A compass direction (North and South; Guardians Of The West; The Shadow In The North; NW)
  • An item/items of cutlery (The Subtle Knife; Our Spoons Came From Woolworths)
  • A title in which at least two words share the same first letter – alliteration! (The Great Gatsby; The Luminous Life Of Lilly Aphrodite; Gone Girl; The Cuckoo’s Calling)
    This text is taken from http://wormhole.carnelianvalley.com/whats-in-a-name-2017-sign-up-page

I really like this because the challenges are all so random! I've already started to line up this year's reads...and, yes, I am  even managing to include a few which have been hanging around on my backlist/TBR pile for a bit :) Stay tuned for my first review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment