Tuesday 17 January 2017

Book Review - '2am at the Cat's Pajamas' by Marie-Helene Bertino ('What's in a Name' Challenge #1)

'Madeleine Altimari is a sassy, smart-mouthed nine-year-old and an aspiring jazz singer, inwardly mourning the recent death of her mother. Little does she know that she is about to have the most extraordinary day - and night - of her life.'

I received '2am at the Cat's Pajamas' in my Book and A Brew subscription box for December 2016 and, whilst I didn't manage to get around to reading it before Christmas (it is set during a Christmas Eve Eve), it proved to be a most enjoyable read to start 2017 with.

Now, before I get around to reviewing the book, I must confess that I cannot get on with jazz. Apologies to all of you who appreciate this musical style but, to me, the majority of jazz is as impenetrable as a maximum security prison. So let's just say I had some slight misgivings on reading the book's blurb. Having said that, whilst the book is peppered with references to jazz musicians/songs, this did not make the book any less readable for a non-jazz bod like myself. 
As the blurb suggests the story revolves around a day in the life of 9 year-old Madeleine who is desperate to be given the opportunity to sing in public. Unfortunately she is consistently denied her time in the spotlight due to 'an unfortunate incident at the Winter Assembly'. Madeleine is not your typical cute 9 year-old - she's had (and has) a lot to deal with at home and is not afraid of doling out the odd curse word (or several!). Can't say as I blame her though, to be honest! 

Madeleine's narrative is complemented by narratives by:
* her teacher, Miss Greene,
* Lorca, owner of The Cat's Pajamas - a once famous jazz club which is struggling due to the music's decline in popularity and its owner's flouting of city codes
* Ben, Miss Greene's disastrous prom date of yesteryear (& who still holds a torch for her)
* as well a several other characters whose story/location intersect with these narratives 

Each narrative is distinct but come together in the finale at The Cat's Pajamas.

If I had one slightly negative criticism it would be that, occasionally, within a narrative the voice would skip to a completely different person - at times even to one who we had not been introduced to - and then back to the narrative we'd been following and this had a jarring effect whilst I was reading. Overall though this was a great little read to start the year with. I would give it 3/5.

You can also read my reviews on Goodreads!

I've written this review as part of The Worm Hole's 'What's in a Name 2017 Challenge' - why not check it?

No comments:

Post a Comment